We’ve gotten so used to popping a pill every time we feel the slightest bit under the weather, we don’t even stop and think about it anymore.
If we did, we might have to face the numerous side effects attached to all these drugs and medicines, even those as seemingly innocuous as aspirin.
So why do you keep funneling all these chemicals into your body, when there’s a perfectly effective alternative, that also happens to be all-natural, carrying practically no side effects? Hopefully it’s just because you haven’t tried it yet.
Turmeric has long been heralded as a kind of miracle cure for a wide range of illnesses, and yes you read that correctly, we’re talking about turmeric, a common kitchen spice.
What makes the brightly colored powder so effectively awesome?
That would be thanks to the active substance in turmeric known as curcumin. In studies conducted to test the efficacy and true powers of curcumin, it has been found to be a favorable comparison when treating conditions such as cancer, inflammation, diabetes, and more.
Now let’s take a closer look at these studies comparing curcumin to other drugs, and I think you’ll be more than convinced to give turmeric a try.
- Curcumin, as well as resveratrol (a natural chemical found in blueberries), can effectively replace these anti-inflammatory drugs:
- Why should you care to make the switch from these to turmeric?
- Ibuprofen overdoses are a very real thing and cause serious damage to your stomach and intestines.
- Looking up the side effects of any of these anti-inflammatory drugs results in a head-spinning laundry list of nightmares. So, I think it’s safe to say that replacing these with an all-natural alternative is infinitely preferable.
- Lipitor is a drug taken to treat high cholesterol and works by lowering the amount of cholesterol in the liver.
- Curcumin is a favorable alternative to Lipitor in the treatment of:
- endothelial dysfunction
- reduction in inflammation and oxidative stress in patients with Type II Diabetes.
- Curcumin has anti-platelet and prostacyclin modulating effects that compare favorably to aspirin.
- This means that curcumin could be a valuable alternative for patients:
- predisposed to vascular thrombosis
- in need of anti-arthritis therapy.
- Curcumin compares favorably to corticosteroids in the management of an inflammatory eye disease called chronic anterior uveitis.
- Curcumin also compares favorably with dexamethasone, a corticosteroid drug intended for injuries associated with lung transplants.
- Curcumin activates AMPK (AMP-activated kinase) which suppresses gluconeogenic gene expression and activates glucose uptake.
- Curcumin (in the form tetrahydrocurcuminoids) was found to be 500 times to 100,000 times more potent than metformin in activating AMPK.
Now these findings may sound pretty technical, and while you might not understand every single word, the important thing to take away is that time and time again the curcumin found in turmeric was found to be a favorable comparison with these drugs.
Although “favorable comparison” may not sound all that flashy, it’s basically saying that curcumin was an effective alternative, and when you look at the side effects of these drugs compared to curcumin, it’s made an even more appealing option.
While you may not be facing all of the illnesses outlined in these studies, just about every one of us has taken aspirin or an anti-inflammatory.
So, the next time you feel yourself getting sick or feverish, give turmeric a try, and avoid the side effects that come with these often dangerous medications.